Hope Lutheran is a member of the Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod. The Lutheran Church is a confessional movement within the Christian Church, begun in the 1500s, that includes more than 50 million members worldwide. The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, of which Hope is a member congregation, has about 2.5 million members. It is the second largest Lutheran denomination in the United States, and is known for maintaining a faithful witness to God's word.
The following is
a brief history of Hope Lutheran Church and School:
On February 4,
1954: Sunday School started in the
American Legion Hall located at 159 N. Cullen Ave. under the sponsorship of
Concordia Lutheran Church in Azusa. The first Sunday school Superintendent was Mr.
On February 27,
1954: Preaching services started in the
American Legion Hall with Pastor A.G. Wahl serving. There were 70 people
Hope Lutheran Church (HLC) was formally organized in 1955 when a handful of
Lutheran families in the Glendora area, with the help of the Lutheran Church
Missouri Synod, began meeting in the American Legion Hall. The small group, led
by Pastor Harry F. Miller, formed a council.
In March, 1955: Five acres were purchased on the NW corner of E. Foothill
and Lorraine for $35,000 by the So. Cal. District of the Lutheran Church- Mo.
On July 10, 1955:
A young seminary graduate Pastor
Kenneth Molnar and his wife came to Glendora in
June. Pastor Molnar was ordained and commissioned to serve the Glendora mission
On August 7,
1955: The name "Hope Lutheran
Church of Glendora" was chosen for the new mission.
On September 21,
1955: Hope Lutheran Church was formally
organized. Thirty-five communicant members signed the charter paper.
On January 1,
1956: there were 225 baptized members.
On May 26, 1956: The first confirmation class (children) was received into
On August 12,
1956: Pastor Molnar was called
and installed as the first Pastor of Hope Lutheran, no longer "mission at Large"
for the Southern California District. And plans for a school began.
On October 20,
1957: Groundbreaking for the first
church. The building was designed by William Wilke and Hugh Neitsch was the
On June 29, 1958: First service was held in the still uncompleted church
when a class of eight juniors were confirmed.
On September 21,
1958: The chapel and educational unit
were formally dedicated with the Rev.
Luther Schwartzkopf of San Bernardino delivering the message.
In January, 1960: The decision was made to open a Christian Day School.
In July, 1960: Mr. Donald L.
Simpson was called as first principal of Hope Lutheran School. That
September the school was opened with two classrooms and 60 students.
1960: Miss Shirley Mosshamer began her
teaching duties in charge of the primary grades.
In January, 1961: Plans were developed for a third classroom.
June, 1961: Ground breaking for a new educational unit with two class
classrooms and six Sunday School rooms, construction began on July 1.
In August, 1961: Miss Norma Dodge was
added to the staff to teach grades 3 and 4.
On February 24,
1963: Pastor Molnar after 7 1/2 years as the first pastor at Hope accepted a
call to San Antonio, Texas, preaching his last sermon.
On March 17,
1963: Pastor Harry F. Miller of Santa Rosa, California, called as new pastor. Pastor
Miller accepted the call and was installed on May 26, 1963.
On March 1, 1964: Dedication of the new educational building.
On December 1,
1968: Groundbreaking ceremony for new
On August 17,
1969: Dedication of the new Sanctuary
(attendance was 517)
On March 14, 1971 - Pastor Edward Busch installed as Pastor Hope
On March 26,
1976: Pastor Larry N. Gorrell installed as Pastor Hope Lutheran Church.
On June 24, 1979:
Ordination of a member of Hope
Lutheran, David Gruoner into the Holy Ministry was held.
On August, 1985: A mobile classroom and a seventh day school teacher were
added to Hope Lutheran School.
On December 6, 1992:
Pastor Paul Terhune was installed as Pastor Hope Lutheran Church.
June, 1997: Don Simpson retired as principal. He
went on to support the school at St. John’s Covina, returning to Hope in 2000
to substitute until June, 2003.
July, 2013: Vicar Daniel Lewis
began serving at Hope. He left to become a Pastor in October, 2015.
On January 5, 2020:. Pastor Terhune retired as Pastor Hope Lutheran
March 1, 2020: Vicar Gary Liu
began serving at Hope. His primary focus is ministry to the local Chinese
population with the goal of someday planting a Chinese congregation at Hope.